Masonic Charitable Foundation, Freemasons’ Hall, 60 Great Queen Street, London, WC2B 5AZ is a Data Controller and in the execution of our legitimate business interests we may hold and process personal information about you or from which we can identify you.
This Privacy Notice describes how we deal with any personal information that you give to us or any that we may hold about you. Our Data Protection Lead can be contacted at any time, including if you have questions about this Privacy Notice, or wish to exercise any rights contained in it.
The MCF is committed to ensuring the privacy of the personal information we collect from our donors. This Privacy Notice sets out how the MCF protects personal and any other information provided in both paper and electronic formats.
Purpose for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting, processing and sharing personal information as described below is based on the legitimate interest of the MCF. To provide you with the services and information you request and for administration and processing purposes, including donations, gift aid tax reclaim, honorifics/patronage, statutory and compliance monitoring.
The Masonic Charitable Foundation acts as the Data Controller for these purposes.
What personal information we may collect
- Your full address including post code
- Your contact details such as an email or telephone numbers
- Your bank account details including branch address
- Your Lodge, Chapter or any other Masonic organisation membership details
- Your tax payer status and Gift Aid preference
How we collect your personal information
- Phone (e.g. information given by donors,
- Post (e.g. paper donation forms)
- Electronically (e.g. emails)
- Information forwarded by third parties (e.g. JustGiving, Givetap)
Why we need to collect your personal information and how it is used by the MCF
- To identify you as a donor to process your donation
- To set up a direct debit instruction with your bank if you elect to donate regularly
- To submit a Gift Aid tax reclaim to HMRC if you choose to Gift Aid your donation
- To send you communications such as thank you letters, honorific certificates and other correspondence relating to your donation
Sharing your personal information
The MCF will not sell, share or distribute your personal information to any third party for marketing purposes. We will not use or share your personal data except for the legitimate purposes specified below.
We may share your personal information with
- United Grand Lodge Of England
- To update your contact details, e.g. address, email or phone number
- To identify you as a donor
- To set up your direct debit instruction to enable regular donations to be collected (monthly, quarterly, annually )
- To submit a Gift Aid tax reclaim for Gift Aided donation (where eligible)
- To refund tax to HMRC (where Gift Aid is reclaimed in error/ not eligible)
- In connection with processing your donation, reclaiming gift aid tax and for honorific purposes
- When setting up a paperless Direct Debit (online or by phone) to verify bank details, ownership of the account and your address
Safeguarding your personal information
All personal and other information collected from donors is stored securely by the MCF according to the MCF Retention Schedule. The records are only kept as long as the MCF is legally required to. Each set of information is retained in accordance with the statutory and regulatory requirements and is destroyed securely at the end of the retention period.
Personal and other information collected is not transferred overseas and the servers are located in the U.K.
The MCF staff is trained to handle personal data in accordance with appropriate data protection policies and procedures.
Your personal information and your rights/accessing and updating your personal information
- You have a right to ask for details about the information we hold about you
- You have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data if it is not necessary for the purposes for which you provided your information (e.g. to process a donation)
- You have the right to rectify your personal data to ensure the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date
- You have the right to ask us to erase/delete any personal information we hold about you unless the MCF needs to retain it for legitimate purposes
Our third party data processors
The MCF may receive your personal information from third parties such as Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) Just Giving, Givetap etc. who share information with us in order for us to process your donation. These independent third parties will only do so when you have indicated that you wish to support the MCF.
‘Cookies’ are small pieces of information sent by a web server to a web browser, which enables the server to collect information from the browser.
There are two types of cookies used on our website:
- Google Analytics tracking cookies used to gather anonymous, aggregate information about traffic to our site
- Session cookies used to remember visitor state whilst they are using the site.
||This cookie is installed by Google Analytics. The cookie is used to calculate visitor, session, campaign data and keep track of site usage for the site’s analytics report. The cookies store information anonymously and assign a randomly generated number to identify unique visitors.
||This cookie is installed by Google Analytics. The cookie is used to store information of how visitors use a website and helps in creating an analytics report of how the website is performing. The data collected includes the number visitors, the source where they have come from, and the pages visited in an anonymous form.
||Google Analytics cookie to throttle the request rate.
||The cookie is used by cdn services like CloudFlare to identify individual clients behind a shared IP address and apply security settings on a per-client basis. It does not correspond to any user ID in the web application and does not store any personally identifiable information.
||This cookie confirms the cookie settings the visitor has chosen when approving / declining cookies within their browser when using our website’s cookie banner.
||This cookie is installed by WordPress to test whether cookies are enabled within the browser.
We do not use third-party retargeting cookies that are used for advertising.
Updating Privacy Notice
We may update or amend this Privacy Notice from time to time, to comply with law or to meet our changing business requirements. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. Any updates or amendments will be posted on the MCF website mcf.org.uk/privacy/
How to contact us
If you have any questions about how we process your data or would like more information then please contact us.
John McCrohan, Operations Director, Data Protection Lead
Masonic Charitable Foundation
60 Great Queen Street London
Telephone number: 020 3146 3333 / Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
This Notice was reviewed and updated on 14 December 2021.